Friday, July 10, 2015

Review Friday: Girls To The Front

It's Friday and I'm ready to drop a book review on ya'll.
This week I've got 90's fever accompanied with radical girl power. Okay, brief back story: I initially found out about Riot Grrrl from this all girls rock camp I went to at 16. They taught me a lot of things about equality with gender and taught me the real meaning of feminism. They were also big Riot Grrrl fans. A few months later, an art instructor I was interning with talked about the pussy riots going on in Russia and I told her about having some of their songs and I ended up incorporating them in my art project.
Anyway, how did I find this book? At the museum gift shopping browsing around. I saw the words Riot Grrrl and was instantly intrigued. I bought it, but never read it. Well this year I decided to finally finish it and I'm so glad I did.







You can buy the book here available in paper back and nook.

Plot
Ever heard of Riot Grrrl? or Bikini Kill? The 90's revival of punk feminism? Scratch that, feminism in general? 
Yeah? You know what I'm talking about? then I bet you're interested in this book.
If you haven't heard of ANY of those things, I know you've heard of Nirvana or maybe even Mud honey. If so, you already have some knowledge.

Girls To The Front is comprised of chapters of the Riot Grrrl Revolution. Told by Sara Marcus in a story book/ interview way, she takes us through her experience with Riot Grrrl and all the other women affected by this time in history. 
The book is informational but also entertaining. Once you get into it and start reading it's hard to put the it down. I wanted to know everything whenever I finished a chapter. The chapters are long so it feels like you're reading forever and it'll never end but it will- the book only consists of 13 chapters.
Girls To The Front is one of those gems that gives you an insight to a time in history that not many knew about. Further more, it does an excellent job of showing how society views girl's problems and the female body in general. It also opens your eyes to how the media makes us perceive everything around us.

Why You Should Read It
If feminism interest you, if the grunge area interest you, if you really want to know where Nirvana originated, if you want to have a sense of connection and be reassured that you really aren't alone in your struggles, read this book. 
I argue that this should be in a feminism history class or a modern feminism text course.
It's that informative and original. I've never read anything like it and you can tell Marcus spent time composing everything together. There's snippets of Zines and flyers (all authentic) from the period.
It's also a perfect book for music fanatics and majors.

Conclusion
Open your mind this summer with this thought provoking read. 
For more info on Bikini Kill and Kathleen Hanna, who she discusses in almost every chapter, check out Netflix for The Punk Singer: Kathleen Hanna. I promise after you watch this you'll get Grrrl Power fever. While you're there, make sure to check out Pussy Riot: A Punk Prayer; a more in depth look at the gals of the controversial arresting's in Russia.



E.L. Destiny


No comments:

Post a Comment